Monday, May 15, 2006

My (so-far) diet success

I'm a hungry sonofagun. Or at least I used to be.

On April 6, 2006, while on one of my many and varied sojourns across the Wild internet, I ran across something called "The Shangri-La Diet" (commonly abbreviated SLD by "insiders"). I can't remember now what I was searching for when I found it. I do remember that it had something to do with Freakonomics, because an article by one of the Freakonomics authors was what led me to Seth Roberts's website.

The science sounded flaky, the idea gimmicky, but it was just so easy and cheap to test that I decided it was worth a shot (that's an SLD pun, for you outsiders).

So test it I did. And so far, I am shocked and amazed by the results.

I began on April 6, 2006. My weight that day was 232.5 pounds in a towel (and carrying soap, shampoo, and locker key).

Today, May 15, I weighed myself under the same conditions and can report I now weigh 222.25 pounds. I am noticably thinner, and my clothes fit better.

For the math lazy, that's 5.5 weeks (we'll call it 6, my next weigh in day is May 17 though I usually only weigh-in once a week) and I've lost 10.25 pounds, about 1.7 pounds a week.

This has been accomplished with negligible inconvenience and minimal hunger.

So what's the secret? Well, I could tell you, but Dr. Roberts (he's a psychologist, not a medical doctor) has been so honest and forthcoming, even potentially at the expense of his book sales, that it would pay you to go to his site and check it out for info straight from the doc himself.

Here's a hint, though. You control your hunger by drinking sugar water (! .... yes, I know) or a shot (1-2 tablespoons) of tasteless oil.

Soon I plan on discussing a general view of Dr. Roberts's theory (I took a lot of Psych classes in college, absolutely love the stuff) and some of the implications, so check back if you're interested.


Technorati tags:









No comments: