Tuesday, May 23, 2006

My typical workout

This is the plan:

Workouts - 2 per week, either Monday - Thursday or Tuesday - Friday.
5 minutes recumbent bike as warmup, try to get heart-rate to 120 BPM or so, then a 5 minute exercise/body part specific warmup.

Move on to 15 minutes supersetting bench press and seated cable rows (SCR). The goal is to do as many repetitions (reps) as I can in 15 minutes. It's a workout program called Escalating Density Training.

I start with bench press and move immediately to the SCR with no rest. If I need rest after the SCR, I rest before my next set of bench presses. I use the same weight, an estimate of my 10 rep maximum, but I limit myself to a maximum of 5 reps per set.

So my last workout went something like this:
Bench press - 5 reps
SCR - 5 reps
rest 20 secs
Bench press - 5 reps
SCR - 5 reps
rest 30 secs
Bench press - 5 reps
SCR - 5 reps
rest 40 secs
Bench press - 5 reps
SCR - 5 reps
rest 50 secs
Bench press - 4 reps
SCR - 5 reps
rest 50 secs
Bench press - 3 reps
SCR - 5 reps
rest 50 secs
Bench press - 2 reps
SCR - 4 reps
rest 50 secs
Bench press - 2 reps
SCR - 4 reps
rest 50 secs
Bench press - 3 reps
SCR - 3 reps
rest 60 secs
Bench press - 2 reps
SCR - 3 reps
rest 60 secs
Bench press - 2 reps
SCR - 3 reps
rest 60 secs
Bench press - 2 reps
SCR - 3 reps
rest 60 secs
Bench press - 2 reps
SCR - 3 reps
rest 60 secs

Total time: 14 minutes 50 seconds.

When I'm done, on early week days (Monday or Tuesday), I do a slow set (2 secs squeeze/raise, 4 seconds relax/down) of seated overhead dumbbell presses.

On late week days (Thursday or Friday), I do 2 sets of dips, and 2 sets of assisted pullups (oh, for the day when I can do them without assistance, like when I was in High School!).

After each workout, I get back on the recumbent bike (if one is available, stationary bike if not) for 10 minutes at a slightly more than moderate pace (try to get my heart-rate up to about 140).

Then when I'm finished, I stretch for 5 minutes. My goal is to be able to do a split, but I don't think that's going to happen at 40.

Total time in the gym: about 1 hour, not including time to change.

Technorati tags:












No comments: